I didn't know much about the musical before I went in apart from two things. Firstly I was aware of the final song Flash Bang Wallop, which I had seen performed on a few variety television shows but I didn't know the context of and the secondly I was aware that the lead male, Charlie Stemp who plays Arthur Kipps was a very impressive actor that is one to watch out for.
As I have mentioned Charlie, I will first talk about the cast. They were amazing, both leads and ensemble were beyond impressive. Charlie Stemp as Arthur Kipps sung, acted and played the banjo with such energy and talent that has to be celebrated.
The other cast member I'd like to shout out is Gerard Carey who played two characters that I loved. His main character James Walsingham is one of the "villans" of the musical, who played his character so well that you actually disliked him a little and then in the final song, he takes on his second and final persona as the photographer and he was so entertaining that I couldn't stop watching him...he was brilliant.
The plot of this musical is a happy one. It is the classic girl meets boy, they part ways only to meet later in life under different circumstances, stuck in a love triangle and it all ends happily ever after. The premise of this one is that Arthur becomes rich suddenly due to a family member leaving their fortune to him. He then gets involved with Helen, a female from the higher class who has an overbearing family but meets his original sweetheart, Ann at a party he has been invited to where Ann is working. Who does he choose?
The songs in the musical are all very catchy and I have had them on repeat since leaving the theatre as the cast recording is available on iTunes. It's definitely worth a listen if you love a good musical. My favourite songs of the whole musical are Pick out a Simple Tune and also Long Ago for different reasons.
Overall seeing Half a Sixpence is a great night of entertainment, I left with a massive smile on my face and I definitely would like to return to see the cast once again before the musical closes in early September. Half a Sixpence is definitely gone into my list of favourite musicals.
Have you seen this prouduction? What did you think?
Don't forget to watch the review below.
Have you seen this prouduction? What did you think?
Don't forget to watch the review below.
No comments
Post a Comment